- 1 unbaked frozen 9-inch deep-dish pastry shell
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup halved and thinly sliced onion
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 3 ounces grated Gruyère cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 292
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 17.3 g
- satfat 7.1 g
- monofat 6.8 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 14.4 g
- carbohydrate 20 g
- fiber 1.2 g
- cholesterol 130 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 510 mg
- calcium 239 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Pierce bottom and sides of pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Increase oven temperature to 450°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan; let cool.
Sprinkle onion, bacon, and cheese into pastry shell. Combine eggs and egg whites in a bowl, beating with a whisk. Add milk and remaining ingredients, beating with a whisk.
Pour milk mixture over cheese mixture in pastry shell. Place quiche on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes, shielding edges after 15 minutes, if necessary, to prevent excess browning. Let cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Cut into wedges, and serve immediately.