I agree with one of the raters, I would use the whole bag vs. half. Also next time I would use diced potatoes to give the soup more substance as a potato soup and vs. a cheese soup.
Queso Potato Chowder
Photo: Iain Bagwell
Yield: Makes 9 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 (20-oz.) package refrigerated Southwestern-style hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded asadero cheese*
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Toppings: fried corn tortilla chips, coarsely chopped deli-fried chicken tenders, finely chopped red onion, sliced jalapeño peppers, fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add bell pepper and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes and cumin, and sauté 5 minutes or until browned and tender. Gradually stir in broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes.
- 2. Whisk together flour and next 2 ingredients. Stir into potato mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- 3. Add cheeses, and cook, stirring constantly, until cheeses melt and mixture is thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.
- *Monterey Jack cheese may be substituted.
- Note: We tested with Simply Potatoes Southwest Style Hash Browns.
- TRY THESE TWISTS!
- Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder: Prepare recipe as directed. Place 1 (12-oz.) package fresh broccoli florets in a 1-qt. microwave-safe glass bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; fold back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 3 to 4 1/2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender, stirring after 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Stir hot broccoli into chowder. Top each serving with sautéed chopped ham.
- Makes: 12 cups. Hands-on time: 40 min.; Total time: 1 hr., 15 min.
- Corn-and-Zucchini Queso Chowder: Omit hash browns. Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1, adding 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed, and 2 cups chopped zucchini with cumin, and decreasing simmering time to 15 minutes. Proceed as directed, stirring in 1/2 tsp. kosher salt with cheese in Step 3. Top each serving with chopped cooked bacon, shredded Cheddar cheese, and diced red onion. Makes: 11 cups. Hands-on time: 40 min.; Total time: 1 hr.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes