Quail Smothered in Gravy
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 quail, dressed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- Combine first 3 ingredients; dredge quail in mixture, reserving remaining mixture.
- Brown quail in hot oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat; drain quail on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Whisk reserved flour mixture into reserved drippings; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until dark brown. Whisk in 2 cups water until smooth. Add quail; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until quail is done. Serve with potatoes.
- Chicken Smothered in Gravy: Substitute 8 chicken legs or thighs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This