1. To make Curtido: Pour 4 cups boiling water over cabbage, carrot, onion, and jalapeño in bowl. Steep 5 minutes; drain.
2. Bring vinegar, 1/2 cup water, salt, sugar, and oregano to a boil in saucepan. Pour over cabbage mixture. Cover, and cool.
3. To make Pupusas: Combine masa harina, cumin, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in 3 cups warm water, adding more, if needed, to form soft dough. Cover, and let stand 30 minutes.
4. Line baking sheet with wax paper. Roll dough into 16 balls. Make indentation in centers; fill 8 balls with 1 Tbs. refried beans; fill remaining 8 balls with 1 Tbs. cheese. Fold edges over fillings, and roll into balls once more. Press into 4-inch disks. Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 Pupusas at a time to skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with Curtido.
Go to full version of