I just made the curtido and it was good. I think I would cut everything into pieces that fit on tortilla chips next time, and maybe use 1/2 cider vinegar and 1/2 white vinegar. I think I would cut the oregano in half.
Pupusas with Curtido
This Salvadoran classic is made by filling masa dough with cheese or black beans. Keep leftover curtido in the fridge for up to two weeks. ( via Vegetarian Times / Vegetarian Recipes / Pupusas with Curtido)
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) carrot, coarsely grated
- 4 cup(s) shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup(s) thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 jalapeÃ±o chile, finely diced, optional
- 1/2 cup(s) white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 4 cup(s) masa harina, such as Maseca
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetarian refried black beans
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1. To make Curtido: Pour 4 cups boiling water over cabbage, carrot, onion, and jalapeño in bowl. Steep 5 minutes; drain.
- 2. Bring vinegar, 1/2 cup water, salt, sugar, and oregano to a boil in saucepan. Pour over cabbage mixture. Cover, and cool.
- 3. To make Pupusas: Combine masa harina, cumin, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in 3 cups warm water, adding more, if needed, to form soft dough. Cover, and let stand 30 minutes.
- 4. Line baking sheet with wax paper. Roll dough into 16 balls. Make indentation in centers; fill 8 balls with 1 Tbs. refried beans; fill remaining 8 balls with 1 Tbs. cheese. Fold edges over fillings, and roll into balls once more. Press into 4-inch disks. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- 5. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 Pupusas at a time to skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with Curtido.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by stikcler and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pupusas with Curtido Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Snacks