I forgot to stir in the sour cream before freezing, but it was delicious anyway. Next time I'll try it as written, but the flavors were just right, yum!
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell and Jan Gautro
Spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, this make-ahead dessert tastes like pumpkin pie; crumbled biscotti adds a crusty crunch. This will keep in the freezer for up to four days.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 8.7g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 204mg
- Calcium: 258mg
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 (8-ounce) carton reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 commercial biscotti, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- Combine 1 cup 1% milk and brown sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan, and heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly with a whisk. Place mixture in pan. Cook over medium heat until mixture coats a metal spoon (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly. Drain custard through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Combine 1/2 cup 1% milk, sweetened condensed milk, and next 5 ingredients (sweetened condensed milk through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in pumpkin. Gradually add custard, stirring with a whisk. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Combine 1/2 cup pumpkin mixture and sour cream, stirring well with a whisk. Add sour cream mixture to chilled pumpkin mixture, and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture into freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; fold in crumbled biscotti. Cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Ice Cream/Sherbet