Made this tonight and brought it to a soup party. My store didn't have mint so I substituted with fresh basil & marjoram. To brighten the pesto I added some lime zest. I think the mint would've been better. Loved the ginger in the soup. I doubled my recipe so it took a long time to prepare ingredients and cook - more like 2 1/2 hours. I'm sure the basic recipe would be shorter, but cutting up the pumpkin takes a while. I used sugar pie pumpkins.
Pumpkin Soup with Pumpkin Seed-Mint Pesto
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
Not quite enough pumpkin for you? Serve it in Mini Pumpkin Bowls.
Yield: Serves 4 or 5
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 70%
- Protein: 8.3g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 406mg
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 1/2 cups peeled, 1-in. chunks pumpkin or other orange-fleshed squash (from a 2 1/2-lb. squash)
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, plus slivered leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1. Make soup: Sauté onion and ginger in oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until golden, 5 minutes. Add garlic and coriander and cook until softened, 1 minute, then add pumpkin, broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, until pumpkin is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Purée in batches in a blender until very smooth.
- 2. Make pesto: Pound garlic, whole mint leaves, salt, and 1 tbsp. oil in a mortar into a coarse paste (or use a food processor). Add remaining oil and pumpkin seeds and pound until coarsely crushed.
- 3. Drop small spoonfuls of pesto over bowls of soup, garnish with slivered mint, and serve remaining pesto on the side.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note