Pumpkin Semolina Cake
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup semolina flour*
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with flour. Wrap outside of pan halfway up sides with aluminum foil, and place in a heavy-duty roasting pan.
- 2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Slowly whisk in semolina flour until smooth. Remove from heat, and place in a large bowl to cool. Add butter and pumpkin, stirring well.
- 3. Sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; fold into pumpkin mixture until incorporated.
- 4. Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Clean mixer blades, and beat egg whites in a separate bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and beat to form stiff peaks. Fold yolk mixture into pumpkin mixture; gently fold in egg whites.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pan, place in a water bath, and bake at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes or until set in the center.
- *Available in most supermarkets, semolina flour is made of wheat that's ground more coarsely than regular flour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts