Pumpkin Seed Focaccia
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon wheat gluten*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup hulled unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted*
- 1 large red tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir together yeast and warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 cup flour, wheat gluten, and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down. Knead pumpkin seeds into dough. Lightly grease hands, and pat dough evenly into a lightly greased 14-inch pizza pan. Arrange red and yellow tomato slices overlapping on top of dough.
- Combine oregano, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and pepper; sprinkle over tomato. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until bottom of crust is browned. Let cool slightly; cut into wedges.
- *Wheat gluten can be found in the grocery store's baking section or in health-food
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads