Pumpkin Scottish Oatcakes
Community Recipe from
- 3 cup(s) rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose or white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup(s) light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 cup(s) butter-flavored shortening (1 stick) chilled
- 3/4 cup(s) canned pumpkin
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) water (as needed) chilled
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine oats, flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut chilled shortening stick into small cubes. Cut shortening pieces into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two silverware knives until crumbly and mixed throughout. Gradually add canned pumpkin until a sticky dough mixture forms. Add chilled water if needed to make moist enough to form into a dough ball.
- Work with smaller portions of the dough on a well-floured board. Pat dough into 1/4" thin large circle and cut with a biscuit cutter (approx 3 1/2" wide) into rounds. Place rounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat process until approx.12 on a baking sheet. Bake 10-16 minutes or until oatcakes are golden on the bottom. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Enjoy warm with butter, pumpkin butter, or jam.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JSomairle and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note