"Pumpkin Surprise" by Michael Hastings. Rolled cake with cream-cheese filling. Recipe from the late Jill Sawyer, former co-owner and Ann Geis, now sole owner of Salem Kitchen. Use a sugar-coated towel to roll the cake in as soon as it comes out of the oven. The cake cools while it's rolled, then it's unrolled and spread with filling. It can then be rolled back up without cracking. This pumpkin roll also freezes well. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: November 2, 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 2/3 cup(s) pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon flavoring
- 3/4 cup(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar, plus more for serving
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 8 ounce(s) cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla flavoring
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 15-by-10-inch jellyroll pan. Line the pan with wax paper. Grease and flour the wax paper.
- 2. Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Beat in pumpkin and lemon flavoring.
- 3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in pumpkin mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until top of cake springs back.
- 4. Meanwhile, sprinkle the ½ cup powdered sugar on a tea towel; set aside.
- 5. When the cake is done, turn it over onto the sugar-dusted tea towel and roll cake and towel together starting with the narrow end. Leave cake rolled up and allow it to cool completely.
- 6. Make the filling by beating all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. When cake is cool, unroll it and remove the towel.
- 7. Spread the filling over the cake. Reroll and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 8. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar. Slice and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note