This is a wonderful recipe. I made it for my mom's birthday and I had to make it again the next day as there weren't any leftovers but everyone wanted more! I had just enough icing to fill the cake and spread on top - make extra if you like lots of icing.
Impress your guests with a spiced pumpkin cake roll that's filled with sweet cream cheese. Rolling up the cake is easy with these step-by-step instructions; plus, you can make it ahead and refrigerate it until you're ready to serve.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 15 Minutes
Chill: 3 Hours
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Garnishes: powdered sugar, chocolate-coated pecan halves
- Coat bottom and sides of a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray, and line with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored; gradually add granulated sugar, beating until well combined. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating well. Combine pumpkin, pecans, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and gradually add to mixture, beating well. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sift 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a 15- x 10-inch rectangle on a clean, dry dish towel. Run a knife around edges of pan to loosen cake, and turn cake out onto prepared towel. Peel wax paper off cake. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together; place, seam side down, on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture on cake, leaving a 1-inch border around edges. Re-roll cake without towel, and place, seam side down, on a serving platter. Cover and chill at least 3 hours. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note