I just made this recipe for the first time today and it's fabulous. It's creamy but not too heavy and it has a nice, delicate flavor. I used butternut squash in place of the pumpkin since the pumpkin isn't really in season at the moment. This may be a new favorite comfort food.
Creamy Pumpkin-Red Pepper Soup
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Carbohydrate: 16.2g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 279mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 3 cups chopped peeled fresh pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled sweet potato
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 cups no-salt-added chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss well. Place vegetable mixture in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- 3. Combine vegetables, stock, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Place half of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Process until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Stir in butter. Top with rosemary, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note