The toasted pecans add crunchy texture and earthy flavor.
More From Coastal Living
Bake: 40 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 cups peeled, cubed pumpkin or butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 9 (9 3/4- x 2-inch) uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake, stirring once, 7 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to a plate to cool; chop.
- 2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pumpkin, onion, garlic, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender. Stir in pecans; set aside.
- 3. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cool water, and cover with plastic wrap until ready to assemble.
- 4. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Add sage, pepper, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt; cook, whisking constantly, about 9 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and whisk in 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Spread 1/3 cup sauce in a greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with 3 lasagna noodles. Spread with about 2/3 cup sauce, half pumpkin mixture (about 2 1/4 cups), and 3/4 cup mozzarella. Top with 3 more lasagna noodles. Spread 2/3 cup sauce over noodles, top with remaining pumpkin mixture, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Top with remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake 30 minutes.
- 6. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles