This was good but well short of what I hoped it would be. The flavor of the mascarpone wasn't very prevalent and I didn't get much orange flavor from the whipped topping.
Pumpkin-Orange Mascarpone Pie
Karen Dick jazzes up the traditional Thanksgiving dessert with mascarpone, a hint of orange flavor, and a gingersnap crust.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 643
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 8.7g
- Fat: 47g
- Saturated fat: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 362mg
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- 2 cups finely crushed gingersnap crumbs (about 32 gingersnaps)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 can pumpkin purée (15 oz.)
- 2 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a 10-in. pie pan, stir together gingersnap crumbs with melted butter and press into a crust. Bake until set, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. Increase heat to 350°. Beat cream cheese, mascarpone, and 2/3 cup sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each egg. Add pumpkin, 1 tsp. orange liqueur, citrus zests, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- 3. Pour filling into crust and bake until edges are firm but center still jiggles a bit, 45 to 50 minutes (bake any extra filling in ramekins). Cool to room temperature, then chill at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
- 4. When ready to serve, beat cream, crème fraîche, and remaining 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. orange liqueur in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Serve pie with orange whipped cream.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts