"Pumpkin Surprise" by Michael Hastings. Recipe from Ameen "Mooney" David of Mooney's Mediterranean Cafe. A version of kibbe with pumpkin, based on a recipe from Mooney's Lebanese grandmother, Mona Al-Awar. Most kibbe is made with ground beef or lamb and shaped into meatballs. This vegetarian dish uses extra walnuts instead. Family-style in a casserole, can also be shaped into 3 to 4-inch footballs and deep fried. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: November 2, 2011.
- 1/2 pound(s) bulgur/cracked wheat, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound(s) mashed potato (with milk and butter, if desired), or about 2 cups
- 1/2 pound(s) canned pumpkin
- 1/4 small onion, pureed
- 1 teaspoon(s) marjoram
- 1 teaspoon(s) basil
- 1 teaspoon(s) allspice
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 1/4 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound(s) mashed potato, or about 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sumac
- 1. For the kibbe, mix the bulgur, potato, pumpkin, onion, marjoram, basil, allspice, cumin and salt until thoroughly combined. Add flour and mix for 30 seconds.
- 2. For the stuffing, heat vegetable oil in a sauté pan, add onion and sauté until tender and golden brown. Stir in walnuts and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mashed potato, salt and sumac and cook for 3 minutes.
- 3. Butter a 9-by-13-inch casserole. Heat oven to 350 degrees. To assemble, layer half the kibbe in the casserole. Spread the stuffing evenly over the kibbe in the pan. Layer the rest of the kibbe over the stuffing. If desired, score the top with a fork to make designs. Add small pats of butter to the top to keep from getting too crisp; or drizzle or brush with oil.
- 4. Bake 30 minutes. Cut into squares or triangles. This is usually garnished with a yogurt dressing similar to tzatziki and served with a salad of Romaine, cucumber and onion.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note