Mine did not come out. The sugar bottom was liquid after it came out of the oven with the flan, and it never became solid. so i served a flan with a sweet mater underneath. lol
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Trinda Gage
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 182
- Fat: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Sodium: 92mg
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar in a 9-inch round cakepan. Cook over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally using oven mitts, until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown; set aside. (Mixture may crack slightly as it cools.)
- Heat milk and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until hot and frothy.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended; gradually add hot milk mixture, beating at low speed. Pour mixture over caramelized sugar, and place cakepan in a roasting pan. Pour hot water into roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center of flan comes out clean.
- Remove pan from water; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill.
- Bake coconut in a shallow pan at 350°, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until toasted. Cool.
- Loosen edges of flan with a spatula, and invert onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pumpkin Flan Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts