Pumpkin Curry Empanadas
These handheld savory pies are perfect for a party, with your favorite chutney on the side. Empanadas get their name from the Spanish word empanar, "to bake in pastry." We've used pie dough for a more delicate, buttery crust.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 180
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces cubed peeled baking pumpkin or butternut or kabocha squash
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup currants, softened 10 minutes in hot water to cover
- Easiest Pie Dough or 3 sheets frozen store-bought pie dough
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Cilantro Mint Dipping Sauce (see sunset.com) or other chutney
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Rub a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tbsp. oil. Spread pumpkin on sheet and roast, uncovered, turning once, till tender when pierced, 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in spices and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 3. Transfer onion to a medium mixing bowl. Drain currants and stir into bowl. Add warm pumpkin and mix well, mashing with back of a spoon to create a slightly chunky mixture.
- 4. Working with one pie-dough disk at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 1/8-in.-thick round. Using a 4-in. ring cutter, cut out 20 circles, rerolling scraps.
- 5. Mix 1 tbsp. water into egg and brush onto dough rounds. Spoon 1 tbsp. pumpkin mixture into center of each round, fold over, and seal edges with tines of a fork.
- 6. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Arrange empanadas on sheets, spaced slightly apart.
- 7. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with chutney.
- Make ahead: Follow recipe through step 5. Freeze in an airtight container. Then bake from frozen, 25 to 30 minutes at 375°.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per empanada.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note