Pumpkin Coconut Soup
Charles E. Walton IV
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Garnishes: drizzle of whipping cream or crème frâiche, toasted coconut, lime zest curls
- 1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 1 can of chicken broth; bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.
- 2. Transfer mixture to a blender, and puree until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven, and add pumpkin, coconut milk, and remaining can of chicken broth, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; stir in lime juice and next 3 ingredients. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Pumpkin Coconut Soup can be made the day before. Pour into a screw-top container, and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to hit the road.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews