- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Garnishes: drizzle of whipping cream or crème frâiche, toasted coconut, lime zest curls
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 1 can of chicken broth; bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to a blender, and puree until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven, and add pumpkin, coconut milk, and remaining can of chicken broth, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; stir in lime juice and next 3 ingredients. Garnish, if desired.
Note: Pumpkin Coconut Soup can be made the day before. Pour into a screw-top container, and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to hit the road.