I made the dough with 1 cup of whole wheat flour instead of all white flour and I forgot about my melted butter in the microwave and it turned out great! I'm not sure what the 1/4 c. of butter would have added to the bread because the texture was fine without it. I will make it again and leave out the butter in the future too.
Pumpkin-Cinnamon Streusel Buns
Randy Mayor; Mary Catherine Muir
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 36.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 311mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare the buns, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 2 cups flour, pumpkin, and next 5 ingredients (pumpkin through nutmeg); beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of the remaining 3/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into the dough. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll the dough into a 12 x 10-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Roll up the rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Cut roll into 12 (1-inch) slices. Place slices in a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake the rolls at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and vanilla extract in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over buns. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads