Like another reviewer's version, the crust came out very thick and very hard. Guests made polite comments, but there was a lot of it left over and no one wanted to take it with them. A very standard and plain lard crust apple pie nearly disappeared--so the guests did have appetite for dessert. Lots of work, no oohs and ahhs: this one was a fail.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Tart with Honey Swiss Meringue
Begin with a toasted pecan crust, layer with cream cheese and a classic pumpkin filling, and then gild the lily with a creamy meringue.
More From Southern Living
Total: 13 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Tart Crust
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon loosely packed orange zest
- Pumpkin Layer
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Honey Swiss Meringue
- 1. Prepare Tart Crust: Process pecans in a food processor 10 to 12 seconds or until finely ground.
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 minute or until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and salt. Add egg, beating just until blended; stir in vanilla. Stir together flour and processed pecans; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until mixture is no longer crumbly and forms a ball, pulling away from sides of bowl. Press dough on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Line crust with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 20 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 12 to 14 more minutes or until crust is light brown. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes). Increase temperature to 425°.
- 4. Prepare Cream Cheese Layer: Beat cream cheese, sugar, and egg at low speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in orange zest. Spread over bottom of crust.
- 5. Prepare Pumpkin Layer: Whisk together pumpkin and next 5 ingredients until smooth; pour over cream cheese layer in crust. Cover tart edges with aluminum foil.
- 6. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°, and bake 45 to 55 more minutes or until a knife inserted in center of pumpkin layer comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 8 to 12 hours.
- 7. Gently blot any moisture that collected on top of tart during chilling with a paper towel. Spread Honey Swiss Meringue over tart. Brown meringue using a kitchen torch, holding torch 1 to 2 inches from meringue and moving torch back and forth.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note