- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 (1-lb.) package baby carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pimentón (sweet smoked Spanish paprika)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Coconut Cream
- Garnishes: toasted flaked coconut
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add shallots, next 2 ingredients, and, if desired, jalapeño, and sauté 5 minutes or until golden. Add carrots, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in ginger and pimentón, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in broth and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
Process soup with a handheld blender until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until hot. (For a thinner soup, stir in more broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time.) Pour into small glasses; dollop with Coconut Cream.
Total time includes Coconut Cream.
Make Ahead: Let cool completely, and chill up to 3 days. Reheat in pan over medium heat until hot.