One of our fall favorites! We have served this soup up with tilapia and chicken as well. We as well double up the Rouille. It is even better the next day!
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 289
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 569mg
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- 1 pound fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled, halved, and thinly slivered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups fat-skinned chicken broth
- 1 bottle(8 oz.) clam juice
- 1 tablespoon Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 8 cups cubed (1/2-in.) pumpkin, such as Sugar Pie or Baby Bear (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 pound halibut, rinsed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Rouille (recipe follows)
- Trim off and discard stalks, root ends, and bruised areas from fennel. Chop and reserve green tops. Rinse heads; cut in half lengthwise, then slice.
- Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat; add fennel, onion, and garlic and stir often until soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Add wine; cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add broth, clam juice, Pernod (if using), pumpkin, saffron, bay leaf, salt, and pepper; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer just until pumpkin is tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3. Add tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Gently stir in fish; simmer until opaque in center (cut to test), 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. Ladle into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon rouille and fennel tops.
- Rouille: In a bowl, stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 1/2 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes