Pumpkin Beer Cheese Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pinch(s) love
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 Spanish onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium pumpkin, peeled and diced (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces pumpkin lager (brown ale or English ale can also be used)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Melt butter over medium heat in the bottom of a medium stock pot. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until it begins to turn transparent. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 more minutes, stirring constantly. Add pumpkin. Toss to combine.
- Pour stock over the top of the pumpkin mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is very tender.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, or in the pot with an immersion blender, until very smooth.
- Add cream to the soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and whisk in the shredded Gouda. Whisk constantly until the cheese is melted and well incorporated. Continue whisking while you add the beer (to taste). You can add up to 12 ounces of beer to this soup, depending on how much beer flavor you’d like.
- Garnish with scallions.
- The soup becomes ultra-silky and rich when you add a bit of heavy cream. But, you can also choose to bypass the cream and serve it simply with a few scallions strewn on top
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jenniferld87 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pumpkin Beer Cheese Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews