I loved the smooth texture and flavor of this warm and yummy soup. It did take quite a while to prepare so I would make a double batch and freeze some. It's a special occasion soup.
Pumpkin-Acorn Squash Soup
Photo: Jim Franco; Styling: Lynda White
Yield: Makes about 8 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 55 Minutes
- 1 medium-size pie pumpkin (about 3 1/2 lb.)
- 1 medium-size acorn squash (about 2 lb.)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut pumpkin and squash in half lengthwise, cutting through stem and bottom ends. Reserve seeds for another use. Place pumpkin and squash halves, cut sides up, in an aluminum foil-lined shallow pan.
- 2. Microwave 2 Tbsp. butter in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 25 seconds or until melted; stir in 1 Tbsp. honey and 1/4 tsp. salt. Brush cut sides of pumpkin and squash with butter mixture.
- 3. Bake pumpkin and squash at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool completely (about 15 minutes). Scoop out pulp, discarding shells.
- 4. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add thyme; sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 5. Stir in broth and pumpkin and squash pulp. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
- 6. Process soup, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to Dutch oven. Stir in half-and-half, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 1 Tbsp. honey and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, over low heat, stirring often, 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
- TRY THIS TWIST
- Kitchen Express Roasted Pumpkin-Acorn Squash Soup: Substitute 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin for fresh pie pumpkin and 2 (12-oz.) packages frozen cooked pureed squash, thawed, for fresh acorn squash. Decrease butter to 2 Tbsp. Omit Steps 1, 2, and 3. Proceed with Steps 4 through 6, simmering 6 minutes in Step 5 and stirring in 2 Tbsp. honey and 1/2 tsp. salt with half-and-half in Step 6. Hands-on time: 30 min.; Total time: 55 min.
- Note: We tested with Publix Cooked Squash. Be sure to use unsweetened squash puree for best results.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine