1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut pumpkin and squash in half lengthwise, cutting through stem and bottom ends. Reserve seeds for another use. Place pumpkin and squash halves, cut sides up, in an aluminum foil-lined shallow pan.
2. Microwave 2 Tbsp. butter in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 25 seconds or until melted; stir in 1 Tbsp. honey and 1/4 tsp. salt. Brush cut sides of pumpkin and squash with butter mixture.
3. Bake pumpkin and squash at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool completely (about 15 minutes). Scoop out pulp, discarding shells.
4. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add thyme; sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.
5. Stir in broth and pumpkin and squash pulp. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
6. Process soup, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to Dutch oven. Stir in half-and-half, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 1 Tbsp. honey and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, over low heat, stirring often, 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
TRY THIS TWIST
Kitchen Express Roasted Pumpkin-Acorn Squash Soup: Substitute 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin for fresh pie pumpkin and 2 (12-oz.) packages frozen cooked pureed squash, thawed, for fresh acorn squash. Decrease butter to 2 Tbsp. Omit Steps 1, 2, and 3. Proceed with Steps 4 through 6, simmering 6 minutes in Step 5 and stirring in 2 Tbsp. honey and 1/2 tsp. salt with half-and-half in Step 6. Hands-on time: 30 min.; Total time: 55 min.
Note: We tested with Publix Cooked Squash. Be sure to use unsweetened squash puree for best results.