Pulled Pork (Crock Pot)
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 pound(s) pork roast (shoulder or butt)
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 cup(s) ginger ale
- 1 bottle(s) (18oz) bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1 bottle(s) barbecue sauce for serving (optional)
- Slice one onion and place in crock pot.
- Put in the roast and cover with the other onion, sliced. Pour over the ginger ale. Cover and cook on LOW for about 12 hours.
- Remove the meat, strain and save the onions, discard all liquid. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any remaining fat, bones or skin (if any). Most of the fat will have melted away.
- Return the shredded meat and the onions to the crock pot, stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook for another 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
- Serve with hamburger buns or rolls and additional barbecue sauce. Any leftovers freeze very well.
- TIP: freeze ready-made sandwiches - a scoop of meat on a bun, well-wrapped. These make a great quick meal or snack. To reheat, remove wrapping, wrap in a paper towel, and zap 1-2 minute in the microwave.
- Note: Shoulder or butt are recommended because the meat shreds very well. Other cuts do not shred as readily. It is a fattier cut, but the fat melts away in the cooking and is poured away when you discard the liquid.
- Note 2: Depending on the size and age of your crock pot, you may need to revise the cooking times downward, esp. after the barbecue sauce is added but no less than 3 hours for it all to meld.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by TNeubauer and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note