Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
More From Health
- Calories: 246
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 627mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb. total), skin removed
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 16 whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 1. In a bowl, mix paprika, mustard, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Add chicken and rub with spices to coat. Transfer to a slow cooker or cover and chill up to 8 hours to marinate.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk vinegar, ketchup, cayenne, remaining brown sugar and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup; cover and chill. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on low until tender, 4 to 5 hours.
- 3. Toss reserved sauce with cabbage; cover and chill. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bones and shred meat; transfer to a bowl. Carefully pour sauce from slow cooker into a fat separator. Pour skimmed sauce over meat; discard fat.
- 4. Divide meat among bun bottoms. Top with cabbage mixture and bun tops.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This