Pulled Beef Short Ribs
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 3 hours, 30 minutes; Cool: 2 hours.
This recipe goes with Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pulled Beef Short Ribs and Pickled Red Onion
Yield: Makes 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Bouquet garni*
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large, ovenproof Dutch oven. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Brown ribs on all sides.
- 2. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; sauté onion, carrot, and celery 2 minutes or until browned. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes. Return ribs to pan. Add wine and bouquet garni, and cook 15 minutes or until almost evaporated.
- 3. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover and place pan in oven. Bake 2 hours, stirring often. Remove lid; bake 1 more hour or until ribs are very tender. Let cool 2 hours. Transfer meat to a plate. Pour broth mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer, and reserve broth for dipping sandwiches, if desired. Shred meat with 2 forks.
- *Note: A bouquet garni is fragrant herbs—such as parsley, bay leaves, and thyme—tied together or bundled in cheesecloth (for easy removal) used to flavor soups, stews, and broths.
- For more of Govind's recipes, check out his Small Bites, Big Nights (Clarkson Potter, 2007), available at amazon.com.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This