1. Add a thin layer of vanilla frosting to the top of the whole cupcake.
2. Fill a piping bag with vanilla frosting. Fit bag with a #12 tip and pipe an upside down heart on the frosted cupcake.
3. Press or roll out chewy chocolate candies. Using a round cutter that is approximately 1-inch in diameter, cut 3 circles. Set aside excess for later use. Cut one of the circles in half. Place one half at the bottom of the cupcake, at the “6 o’clock” position. Overlap the two full circles on top of the half to form the cheeks.
4. Cut a small piece of fruit roll for the tongue. Insert tongue piece so that it is tucked under the cheeks .
5. Add one candy piece, or sugar pearl, as the nose. Or, roll the remaining half circle of chewy chocolate candy for the nose. Use a knife, toothpick, or veining tool to form the nose and freckles.
6. Using the #12 tip-fitted bag, pipe around the cheek. Place a small chocolate candy or sugar pearl in the center of each disk for the eyes. Using a toothpick, dab a dot of vanilla frosting on the candy piece to define the eye.
7. Using a knife or tear drop-shaped cutter, and the excess rolled chocolate chewy candy, cut 2 small triangular ears. Place one ear at “11 o’clock” and the other at “1 o’clock”.
For the basic frosting on top of each cupcake, you’ll only need enough to lightly coat the top of each cupcake, about ¼ cup frosting per cupcake. Too much frosting on the cupcake will make it harder to decorate into the puppy face.