Puffy Cheese Grits
This airy grits casserole stands tall as it finishes baking. Plan to bring it straight from the oven to the table.
More From Oxmoor House
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat; add butter and pepper, stirring until butter melts. Stir in egg yolks, 1 at a time, and cheese.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of beaten egg whites into grits; carefully fold in remaining egg whites. Pour into a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until puffed and browned. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note