It turned out just the way it was suppose to, and I followed the recipe exactly. My kids, 7 and 3yrs, said it sort of tasted like Mac n' Cheese. It is something I would throw some ham in and serve for breakfast! My husband is the hardest to please- he said it is bland. Where I live, shopping at Walmart, I paid about $20 for everything ($3.33 per serve) but if you calculate just what you use (can't buy only 3/4 cup of milk) it only cost $3.27. Which is only $0.55 per serving!
Puffed Cheddar-Rice Casserole
More From Allyou
Bake: 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 186mg
- Sodium: 360mg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 4 large eggs, separated, plus 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 3-quart round soufflé or other baking dish.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in milk and cook until thick and bubbling, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat.
- 3. In a bowl, stir together egg yolks, salt and 1 tsp. paprika. Whisk in cheese sauce and rice. In another bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but still glossy. Stir 1/4 of beaten egg whites into rice mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon into prepared dish and dust with remaining 1/4 tsp. paprika. Bake until puffy, golden brown and just set in center, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles