- 3/4 cup prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Cream Frosting
- 6 to 8 whole sugar-coated prunes (optional)
- Combine prunes and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 2 minutes. Drain; reserving 2 tablespoons juice for frosting. Set aside.
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine 1 cup flour and remaining dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Dredge prunes in remaining 1/2 cup flour; stir to coat well. Stir into batter.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes: remove layers from pans, and cool completely. Spread Cream Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with whole sugarcoated prunes, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This