- 2 (8-ounce) packages pitted prunes, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup lard
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Combine prunes and water in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain prunes, reserving 2 cups liquid.
- Combine prunes, reserved liquid, sugar, lard, spices, and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until lard melts. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Sift together flour and soda in a medium mixing bowl; add prune mixture and eggs, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into 2 greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This