Provencale Beef Stew with Olives
Community Recipe from
- 1 3 1/2 pound beef chuck roast trimmed, cut into 1 3/4 inc pieces
- 1 bottle(s) dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon(s) black peppercorns crushed
- 8 sprig(s) fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 8 fresh Italian parsley stems
- 2 strip(s) 2 X 1/2 inch orange peel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 cup(s) chopped carrots
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 can(s) 28 oz. plum tomatoes drained
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup(s) nicoise olives, pitted
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a large glass baking dish or resealable plastic bag, combine beef, wine and peppercorns. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Heat oven to 300. With butchers' twine and cheesecloth, tie thyme, parsley stems, orange peel and bay leaf together to make a bouquet garni. Set aside.
- Drain beef, reserving marinade. Dry beef with paper towels. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Brown beef in batches 2 to 4 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Remove from Dutch oven; set aside.
- Add onions and carrots to Dutch oven; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until softened and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add garlic, cook and stir about 30 seconds. Add reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Add beef, tomatoes, pepper and bouquet garni. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover; bake 2 1/2 hours or until beef is almot tender.
- Add olives to stew; bake an additional 20 to 30 miniutes or until beef is very tender.
- With slotted spoon, transfer beef and olives to serving dish; keep warm. Discard bouquet garni. Skim fat from top of sauce with paper towels. If desired, boil sauce over high heat 5 to 10 mintues to intensify flavor and thicken slightly. Add salt. Pour sauce over beef and olives.
- Stew can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat gently on stovetop before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MTN326 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes