- About 2 quarts (6 oz.) spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green onions
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto
- 1 refrigerated pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie (1/2 of a 15-oz. package), at room temperature
- calories 357
- caloriesfromfat 58 %
- protein 16 g
- fat 23 g
- satfat 9.6 g
- carbohydrate 22 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- sodium 804 mg
- cholesterol 220 mg
How to Make It
Coarsely chop spinach leaves. In a food processor or blender, whirl spinach, green onions, eggs, half-and-half, cheese, flour, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper until smooth.
Line an oiled 9-inch pie pan smoothly with foil, overlapping pan rim; oil foil. Cover foil with prosciutto, slices overlapping so there are no gaps. Slowly pour in spinach mixture. Gently lay pastry round on filling (it's soupy; avoid getting filling on top of pastry). Fold excess pastry under itself flush with pan rim; press around edges with a fork.
Bake in a 350° oven until crust is golden brown and a slender wood skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes (30 to 35 minutes in a convection oven). Cool on a rack at least 20 minutes. Invert a plate over torta; holding pan and plate together, invert to release torta onto plate. Peel off foil. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.