Prosciutto Crab Cakes with Red Pepper Mayonnaise
Prosciutto (salt-cured Italian ham) is a nice surprise in these meaty cakes. Country ham makes a suitable substitute.
Yield: 12 crab cakes
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained
- 1/2 cup shaved prosciutto, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup French breadcrumbs (homemade)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons white wine Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Red Pepper Mayonnaise
- Garnish: lemon slices
- Combine crabmeat, prosciutto, and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Toss gently.
- Stir together egg and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Gently fold egg mixture into crabmeat. Cover and chill at least 1/2 hour. Shape mixture into 12 patties, using a scant 1/4 cupful for each. Place patties on a wax paper-lined baking sheet; cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Cook 6 patties in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from skillet; set aside, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining patties, butter, and oil. Serve warm with Red Pepper Mayonnaise. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note