Pronto Beef Chili
Notes: Serve chili with hot cooked black beans or pinto beans and warm corn tortillas; accompany with a sliced-orange and -onion salad dressed with seasoned rice vinegar.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 1672mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 can (19 oz.) red enchilada sauce (also called red chili sauce)
- 1 package (about 2 lb.) cooked boned beef pot roast with gravy
- Reduced-fat sour cream
- Thinly sliced green onions (including tops)
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, garlic, and cumin seed until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Add enchilada sauce and stir until simmering.
- 2. Discard any solidified fat from beef and sauce. Scrape sauce from meat and stir into enchilada sauce mixture. Cut beef into 3/4-inch cubes and add to pan; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is hot, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Spoon chili into bowls. Serve with sour cream and green onions to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note