- 1 pound boneless chuck roast, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef broth, undiluted
- 3 (16-ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup beer
- Commercial sour cream
- Finely chopped zucchini
- Chopped green onion
How to Make It
Combine meat in a large Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until meat is browned. Remove meat with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Set meat aside.
Sauté green pepper, 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, and garlic in drippings in Dutch oven 10 minutes or until tender. Drain off drippings.
Add meat, jalapeño pepper, chili powder, salt, cumin, cocoa, pepper, and bay leaves to Dutch oven; stir until blended. Add beef broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste, stirring well; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
Add kidney beans to mixture; simmer, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature; discard bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend.
Place chili over medium heat; cook, uncovered until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Stir in beer, and heat thoroughly.
Ladle chili into individual serving bowls. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with zucchini and green onion. Serve immediately.