Prize-Winning Coffee Cake
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Coffee Cake Topping
- Coffee Cake Glaze
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water, stirring well. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cream butter; gradually add remaining sugar and salt, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, milk, lemon juice, and nutmeg; beat well. Stir in yeast mixture. Add flour; beat until smooth.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 1-inch diameter rope. Shape each rope into a loose coil in 2 greased 9-inch round cake pans, beginning at outer edge of pan. Firmly pinch ends to seal.
- Spread half of topping over each cake. Cover and repeat rising procedure 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Place on wire racks to cool. While cakes are warm, drizzle with glaze.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings