Probably took me about an hour to make and half hour to clean up because I tend to be one of those messy cooks. I'm still chilling it so I don't have a final taste test review but it would have to taste pretty awful for me not to give it two thumbs up! The filling is like silk, oh my! I did use 3/4 cup lemon juice but I used Meyer lemons which are a bit milder than your regular lemons. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.
Prize Lemon Pie
Community Recipe from
- 9" pie shell, baked
- 7 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) hot water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 5 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1. Mix cornstarch, sugar, salt in saucepan.
- 2. Add hot water gradually; cook over direct heat stirring constantly from 6-8 minutes until thick and clear.
- 3. Remove from heat and stir about 1//4 cup hot mixture gradually into beaten egg yolks.
- 4. Pour back into pan; cook at low heat, stirring constantly for 6 minutes.
- 5. Take off range; add lemon juice, peel and butter.
- 6. Set aside 3/4 cup of it.
- 1. Beat egg whites and lemon juice until they hold soft peaks.
- 2. Add sugar gradually, beating until whites are glossy and stand in firm peaks.
- 3. Fold meringue into filling in saucepan; pour into cooled, 9" baked pie shell.
- 4. Spread remaining 3/4 cup filling decoratively over pie.
- My also use this filling for tarts.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by vermit and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Prize Lemon Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Pies/Pastries
More Recipes for Main Dishes