Notes: Serve the cooked beans alone or incorporate them into other recipes. If making ahead, cool, cover, and chill up to 4 days.
Yield: Makes 6 cups; 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 157
- Calories from fat: 2.9%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 16g
- Sodium: 38mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 pound sorted, rinsed, and drained dried Great Northern beans
- 2 chopped onions (1 lb. total)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a 6-quart pressure cooker, combine 1 pound sorted, rinsed, and drained dried Great Northern beans, 2 chopped onions (1 lb. total), 1 dried bay leaf, and 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth.
- 2. Seal cooker. Following manufacturer's instructions, bring to maximum pressure (15 lb.) over high heat, then adjust heat to stabilize cooking rate. Cook 1 1/2 hours. Release pressure quickly, running cold water over pan.
- 3. Open pan. Serve beans or, for less liquid, stir often over high heat until mixture has consistency desired, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This