This recipe goes with Green Beans with Preserved Lemons
Yield: Makes about 2 cups
- 4 large lemons, well scrubbed
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- Cook whole lemons in boiling water to cover 8 to 10 minutes or until lemon skins are softened. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut lemons carefully into wedges, and remove seeds.
- Place lemons in a 1-quart jar; add salt to jar. Add lemon juice to cover. Place lid on jar, and shake gently. Refrigerate 5 days, shaking jar each day, before using. Lemons will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- Shortcut Savvy: Exotic preserved lemons add amazing piquant flavor to foods, but can be difficult to find in markets. Making this Moroccan-style condiment is easy, but you need to plan several days in advance. If you are a spontaneous cook, substitute 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt for the preserved lemons. Stir chopped preserved lemons into seafood salads or fish and chicken dishes--anywhere a salty-citrus flavor works.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This