Prawns With Winter Cabbage Salad
The Biltmore Estate produces its own freshwater prawns, fruits, herbs, and vegetables.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 gallon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 18 large prawns with heads(about 2 pounds)*
- Winter Cabbage Salad
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Garnishes: blanched whole green beans, prawn heads
- Bring first 9 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add prawns, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or just until prawns turn pink. Drain, reserving stock. Cool prawns over ice. Cool stock. Return prawns to stock; cover and chill 2 hours.
- Peel prawns, leaving tails on and reserving 6 heads. Toss Winter Cabbage Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette; chill 1 hour. Mound salad evenly on plates. Arrange prawns around salad. Serve with remaining vinaigrette. Garnish, if desired.
- *18 jumbo shrimp may be substituted for prawns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes