- 1 (8-ounce) package corn husks (about 30)
- 5 cups instant corn masa mix
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup corn oil
- 30 prawns or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 roasted pasilla or poblano chiles, cleaned, peeled, and cut into strips
- 1 1/4 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups (6 ounces) shredded Jack cheese
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce
- Garnishes: sliced avocado, lime halves
- Soak corn husks in hot water about 30 minutes or until softened. Drain and pat dry.
- Place masa in a large bowl, and gradually add chicken broth; knead until smooth. Stir in baking powder and corn oil.
- Place 1 large or 2 small, overlapping corn husks open on a work surface. Spread 2 tablespoons masa mixture in center, leaving about 2 inches bare at top and bottom.
- Layer 1 prawn, 1 pepper strip, 1/2 tablespoon each cheddar and Jack cheese, and 1 tablespoon spinach in center. Fold over sides, and then fold up the top and bottom. Tie with string or strip of corn husk to secure. Repeat with remaining husks.
- Fill a steamer basket with tamales, upright in layers. Cook over simmering water 60 to 90 minutes, replenishing water as needed, until the husk just pulls away from the masa without sticking.
- Open corn husk, and top tamale with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This