I am giving 4 stars b/c I think I like the recipe better with whipping cream (Cooking Light April 2001). However, this one is still very good and a little faster.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring sugars and milk to a boil in a Dutch oven, stirring often. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 11 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 228° (thread stage).
- Stir in butter and pecans; cook, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer registers 236° (soft ball stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon 1 to 2 minutes or just until mixture begins to thicken. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto buttered wax paper or parchment paper; let stand until firm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This