Loved this! I used red delicious apples and toasted walnuts because it's what I had on hand. I also added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. We liked it even without the topping...cutting calories and making a tasty sweet dessert.
Sour cream is the secret to the rich, moist texture of this praline-apple quick bread recipe. There's no butter or oil in the batter—only in the glaze.
Yield: Makes 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped, peeled Granny Smith apples (about 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 1/2 cup pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 4 minutes.
- 2. Beat sour cream and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until blended.
- 3. Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to sour cream mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in apples and 1/2 cup toasted pecans. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup chopped pecans; lightly press pecans into batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
- 5. Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil in a 1-qt. heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, and spoon over top of bread; let cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Note: To freeze, cool bread completely; wrap in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Recipe from Debbie Grusska, Hobart, Indiana
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads