Prairie Fields Wheat and Soy Bread
To freeze, wrap each baked loaf in foil, then place in a zip-top plastic bag. They will keep about 3 months.
Yield: 3 loaves, 12 servings each loaf (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 150
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 195mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- 5 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 packages dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons each)
- 3 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 3 cups bread flour, 1 tablespoon salt, and yeast in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in water, 1/2 cup honey, and olive oil. Add 2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, and soy flour to yeast mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes), adding enough of remaining bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds. Working with 1 dough portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), roll each portion into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up the rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place each roll, seam side down, in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake dough at 350° for 25 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans, and brush tops of loaves with melted butter. Cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note