excellent! i prepared the syrup just as the recipe was written. it is wonderful over pound cake, topped with ice cream. at a dinner party, all of the guests asked for the recipe.
Pound Cake with Strawberry Balsamic Syrup
The balsamic mixture appears sticky when first mixed with berries, but chilling it for 1 hour helps it dissolve into the berry juice. This is also delicious with pound cake and whipped cream, mascarpone, or fresh ricotta. If desperate for this when strawberries are out of season, substitute with frozen berries. Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 6 minutes.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 pints strawberries, quartered
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices pound cake
- 1 (1-pint) container vanilla ice cream
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves; continue to boil 6 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- 2. Place quartered berries in a medium bowl. Add warm balsamic mixture, and toss gently. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 1 hour, stirring well before serving.
- 3. Place a piece of pound cake in the bottom of each of 4 bowls or glasses; top with about 1/2 cup berry mixture and 1/2 cup ice cream. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note